Holidays in Spain
This is the Arbuthnott stronghold from where the majority of their holidays take place centred on their home of Almuña.
This part of Southern Spain in the region of Andalucía is an area of outstanding and impressive beauty. There is an extraordinary diversity of landscape; limestone mountains, cork forests, olive groves, open farmland ablaze with sunflowers and pastures vivid with the colours of a thousand wild flowers.
Ancient white villages, teeming with life and seemingly unchanged for centuries, are chiselled into the hillsides. All around are signs of the Moorish frontier that existed for 200 years until their defeat in 1492.
The climate is one of the special assets of Andalucía. From mid May to early October there is little likelihood of rain and for the rest of the year a 75% chance of lovely weather. Sunshine, gentle breezes and a pleasing temperature are ideal for walking and all the various activities.
Specialist Holidays, Sporting Holidays, Riding and Walking
- A Riding Journey in Andalucia A riding journey through Andalucía, following the old caminos and paths from Christian Arcos de la Frontera, over the hills and through the valleys to the Moorish fortified city of Ronda, in a week.
- Andalucia Escorted Holiday The Andalucia Escorted Holiday starts in the old town of Malaga and continues on to Granada, Cordoba and Seville. An 8 day holiday is escorted by Hughie Arbuthnott
- The Berber Camino This walking journey has much historical content with explanations of the period of Moorish rule which in this corner of Spain spanned from 711 to 1492.
- A Holiday at Almuña - Set Departures This is a holiday organised by the Arbuthnotts to which you are invited to join as a single person, a couple or with a few friends.
- Private House Parties at Almuña From the moment they collect you from the airport the Arbuthnotts do the rest leaving you free to be the host without the overbearing responsibly of making decisions.
- Family Holidays Almuña is a wonderful place to spend a private family holiday at any time of the year. A myriad of activities can be arranged for all ages in the haven of the house, garden and surrounding area.
- The Ronda Camino Through cork forests, olive groves and green pastures, stopping for a delicious picnic in the shade. From Almuña to Ronda deep into the heart of the Andalucian Hills.
- The Arcos Camino From Christian strongholds in dramatic limestone sierra to old Moorish territories walking here feels like you step back in time.
- Bird Watching in Andalucia Andalucía is home to some of the richest bird life in the northern hemisphere and passage to thousands of birds, visit the Coto Doñana with our ornithologist Robin Nelson on the richest migratory route on earth.
- The Moorish Historical Tour in Andalucia Throughout the week Hugh will give pictorial presentations taking you through the period and where appropriate will be using some excellent guides. Hugh brings to life this remarkable period of history.
- Polo Holidays at Almuña Sotogrande, home to the gold cup in August but due to the great weather in Southern Spain you can play all year round. 20 minutes from Almuña is a charming club with two grounds and excellent facilities.
- Bridge School and holiday at Almuña This is the perfect opportunity to experience all the pleasures and comforts of Almuña at the same time as learning and improving your bridge under expert tuition from Jack Stocken.
- Painting at Almuña The painting holidays vary from teacher to teacher each with their own style and technique. Our painting teachers speak for themselves as their 'aficionados' return year after year to paint at Almuña
- The Botanical Ramble at Almuña Ramble through wild flowers spectacular in abundance, brilliant in profusion, variety and colour with the delightful and highly knowledgeable botanist Albert Petit. The walking is gentle with time to identify flowers, butterflies and insects.
- Almuña Riding & Horse Feria in Jerez There is sensational riding around Almuña, following the old caminos and smuggles' paths stopping for either a riverside picnic or a tapas lunch in a local taverna. 2 nights in Jerez having visited the 'espectaculo' at the Spanish Riding School